Monday, November 5, 2007

The Smartest Man Alive and the Shack!

Ok all you people out there in internet land. You asked for more blogs, and here they are. But if I'm going to blog, you need to do something too. I need some advice from you. If you read this, then leave a comment below. (or else!)

First, you need to understand who I am. Putting all modesty aside, I am the Smartest Man Alive. Seriously, it's kind of creepy. I can absorb knowledge at a tremendous rate. Because of this, I can do anything. If you show me once, or there's a book on it, I can do it. I can understand Global Macroeconomics, build circuit boards from scratch, write code, sew, cook, build stuff, repair cars, write massive essays, etc. When my mother got her Masters in Counseling, I absorbed just about everything on Psychology I could get my hands on.

Why do I learn how to do all this stuff? I don't know, I can't stop! It's like a curse.

Anyway, on to my problem. I want a house. I make less than a part-time teacher, so buying a "big new home" for my family is out of the question, for now at least. I'm also going to school full-time to finally finish my degree. Oh, and I build websites for a side job. Plus I have 3 kids (one of which is a 6 month old). So to say I'm busy is an understatement.

Well, we found a house!! It is on 2 acres of land (in-town), 3000sqft, and has just about everything we want in a house. There's just one tiny little problem. Miniscule really.

The inside is not that great. It looks like a bunch of homeless guys got together and said, "Hey! Let's each build a shack, and hook them together!". I mean seriously, this place is a DUMP! The inside is a maze of add-ons. When we say something is original to the house, we mean original, like Thomas Jefferson probably built one addition! I'm pretty sure there are pre-historic petroglyphs on the foundation! I mean this place is a DUMP! (Did I say that already?)

Now the outside structure looks ok. So I could gut the entire house, re-do the drywall, carpet, make a new kitchen, new bathrooms, move a bunch of walls, redo the plumbing, redo the electric, rebuild 2 portions of the roof, and rebuild an exterior wall that is leaning. Do I know how to do all that? Am I a contractor? Nope. But I am the smartest man alive. I've read the building codes, and have a few books on plumbing and electrical. Should be pretty simple. For me at least. It may take a gallon of blood sweat and tears, but hey! Life isn't easy right?

We could easily have a $180-200K house for only $50K plus $50K of repairs!
Can I do it? Sure I can? (I may have trouble getting the covered wagon out left by the original owners!!!) Should I? That's a lot to put my family through though.....


NOW you see my dilema! I would be over there every night for 6 months, getting it good enough for us to live in. Is it worth the work?

I don't want to put my family through hell, BUT, I don't want to wimp out either......

Did Lewis and Clark say
"Explore the Lousiana Territy? Gee, I don't know, that's a lot of work, and we'd be gone for a long time, and it would take up all my evenings...plus, what if we get lost?"


Did the Eqyptians say
A pyra-what? Are you crazy? You know how long it would take?! When coudl we move in? After we die you say? Geesh, I don't know...


Did Hitler say
Invade Austria, Poland, AND France? Gee, that's a lot of work. I could invade one country, but three? At the same time? What if I invade France, and find out Belgium, the Netherlands, and who knows what else need to be invaded? When would I have time to finish my degree in Dictatorship?


Did Ross Say to Rachel
Gee, I'd love to start a relationship, but I just bought Ugly Naked Guy's house, and it needs some work, plus, I've got all these dinosaur bones to catalog, then I've got to get married 3 more times....I just don't know if I'm going to have time......


NO! These people actually accomplished something that was hard to do!!! Sure, they might have had a few setbacks along the way..(Normandy invasion, Russia entering the war, Ross thought they were on a break) BUT they actually tried!

Should I do it? Or just cave into to fear, and keep renting?

Your turn to answer now!

1 comment:

Book Girl said...

Thats a tough one. On one hand, when you are finished you will feel so accomplished! On the other hand, Julie might be ready to pull your hair out by then...if you had any.
Course, you could keep the house the way it is and that would prevent Myah from brining any boys home....